IS VALENTINES DAY OVERRATED?

Saturday, February 14, 2015

For the past 16 years I have spent Valentines day doing what most single people do: continuing to live my everyday life. Not once have I stopped and really thought about what it meant and why we all celebrate it a.k.a spent the day lying in bed crying, feeling sorry for myself and eating chocolate to feed an army.

Even though I've never celebrated Valentines Day, I thought I'd talk to you about what I think about the day that memorises the Roman Saint Valentine...

It's overrated...
Yep, Valentines day in my opinion is just a big stunt by corporations to sell you a bunch of flowers for three times the price they were last week. Sadly most of us fall into their traps and spend hundreds of dollars on materialistic things to show that they love someone. It's no fun if you're obligated to do something romantic for the other. Girls feel like they should be receiving things while guys feel like they should be giving things and if you don't, then you're not a 'cute couple'. It's not very spontaneous...

It's kinda cute...
Unfortunately I think Valentines day is just an excuse for a day off because we're all still suffering from post-New Years/Christmas depression (at least I am). I think it's quite a nice idea that for people who are busy or normally don't get a lot of time to tell their partner that they love them, that there is a special day that highlights this. Guy's if you do have a special girl in your life, today's a great day to remind her of what you think about her. It's nice to do something sweet for someone you love except i think that we're being a bit extreme about it...

Anyway, those were my feelings about Valentines Day. If you're spending today with someone special, I hope you have an awesome day and if you're alone this year, don't worry, just be thankful for all the other amazing people you have in your life, like your friends and your family.
Until next time,
Love




You Might Also Like

0 comments