WINTERY GETAWAY

Monday, July 20, 2015


After a week away in Rotorua with school, my family and I decided to head a little further south to a small place called Kuratau and explore what New Zealand looks like in all it's wintery beauty. Despite not finding heaps of snow, we did get up to some other 'chilling' adventures. Here are some photos of what we got up to...


MONDAY
We started off the week with something I'd never ever thought I would do: White Water Rafting!! The Tongariro River is an amazing river to raft in because it's perfect for beginners but is still challenging. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared but despite the cold it was seriously one of the coolest things I have ever done. If you are someone who feels the cold easily, you must think my family and I are absolutely crazy to raft in a river during winter but don't worry, the rafting company equips you with more than enough to protect you from the cold! You shouldn't really feel cold because you're continuously paddling.

Rafting Crew
Action shot! (Check out those facials!)
This was BEFORE we started. 
 TUESDAY
After Monday's adventures we decided to go for a mountain bike up the Tongariro River. We spent the day checking out the amazing scenery and visited the Trout Museum which is located on the river before eating lunch on the river banks!

Tongariro River
WEDNESDAY
Despite the weather threatening to take a turn for the worst, we spent the day hiking around the Tongariro Volcanic Centre. We saw geysers, mud pools and hot pools. Later that evening we rested our sore muscles in the hot tub! Pretty good way to end the day.

Hot pools!
Geysers!
Resting the sore muscles
THURSDAY
On Thursday we got back onto the road. We had been told that there was no suitable snow on Mt. Ruapehu all week but the day we left we awoke to a white blanket covering the mountains. However we did manage to see some snow on our way back and of course had to stop for a photo :)

I hope you enjoyed reading about what I got up to over the winter break! I hope you guys all had good holidays (and are still having a good holiday). Don't forget to follow me on instagram for updates on new blog posts!

Until next time,




You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I really loved this blog post! The things that you did looked so fun!

    don't forget to check out my blog- http://freespiritized.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeline! Your blog looks awesome xx

      Delete