LAST YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL

Thursday, March 03, 2016

For those of you born in 1998 and turning 18 this year, like me, this is your last year of high school. But what does that mean? Does it mean you have to decide what you want to do with the next 5-10 years of your life or does it mean you will be free in 11 months to do whatever you want? Frankly, I have no idea yet and I know that most of my friends don't either.

Leaving the safety net of high school can be scary for some while for others it's the best thing that will ever happen to them. I know for me high school has given me some of the best years of my life so far because I have had the chance to do everything and anything. However, when I look at my brother, he just can't wait to get out into the 'real' world and do something he actually enjoys. I've compiled a little list of things that I think will help me get the most out of my last year of high school and I hope you can take something out of it too...

TRY SOMETHING NEW
I honestly think that it's never too late to start anything especially in your last year of high school. Realistically you will probably never get the chance to do so many different things again. So start a new instrument, join a new sport, do something for your school community, coach a junior team, take part in your school production etc. There's so many things you can do and you will regret them if you don't.

PRIORITISE
Having said that, don't commit to too much especially if you're Year 13. While getting involved is so much fun and rewarding be sure not to OVERcommitt yourself. For example, I am already finding that I have multiple things on at the same time and being someone who finds it hard to say no, I hate having to choose between things. Don't forget that this year is also important if you want to get into Uni so it's pretty important that you make time for our school work or you may regret it when you apply.

MAKE TIME FOR FRIENDS
Unfortunately once you leave high school, most of your friends will probably part ways and go on to different places. Thats why is so important to put time into the relationships that you have this year because who knows where all of them will be next year. Make the most of the time you spend with them and if you're invested in your relationship make sure to show it by staying in contact after high school.

DONT AVOID THE FUTURE

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's probably not a good idea to go and live in your mum's basement after you finish high school. If the thought of University or any other plans after high school freaks you out then make sure you get onto it sooner rather than later. That way you have the time to properly think things through and look at all your different options instead of having to make rash last minute decisions. And remember that you have nothing to lose so apply for everything you are even slightly interested in, scholarships, Uni, courses, overseas camps etc. because that way you have so many options to choose from when you're ready.

ENJOY BEING A 'TEENAGER'
Once high school is over, your life is up to you. No one is going to pull you out of bed to go to work or a lecture and you can no longer coax the lecturer or your boss into extending a deadline. So appreciate when teachers nag you about your school work this year and just remember that high school isn't all that bad (considering I haven't even had a full week this year due to sports days, teacher only days etc)

These are just some of the things I am going to keep in mind this year as my 13 years of schooling come to and end. It will be sad to leave something comfortable behind but I am excited to go on to bigger and better things and I hope you are too! Let me know what you're most excited about this year and don't forget to follow me on instagram.

Until next time,



You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete