THINGS I DO WHEN IM FEELING DOWN | SELF REFLECTION

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

This post is going to get a bit more personal. But I want to share this because I know that we can all relate to this one way or another. This past month has been pretty all over the place for me, especially with school coming to an end FOREVER in less than a week. Of course this means its time to decide what to do with my life and where I see myself going next year, which for any of us is extremely daunting! I'm not going to lie and pretend finishing school is all rainbows and unicorns because it's honestly quite hard. It's hard to see your friends go. It's hard to let go of you something you know so well and where you feel so comfortable. It's just hard. I feel like I've been one of the few of my friends who has known what I was going to do after high school for a little while now. For me it was simple, I love writing and all things english-related so a Law degree seemed obvious. However, when it actually comes down to crunch-time, its's suddenly quite scary to commit. It's scary to hear people around you starting to figure out where they're going next year, the halls they got into, the scholarships they got, the degrees they're doing, or the gap years that they're taking. It suddenly makes you question every decision you have made and whether it's actually the right one. So, when someone once again asks the ever familiar question ''what are you doing next year Sophie?'', you simply put on your poker face and pretend to have your life sorted while in reality, you're actually a complete wreck. Now don't get me wrong, I'm extremely fortunate to in a position where I am able to make these kinds of decisions about what my future holds but I know this is something everyone is going to get a little down about and struggle with at some point.  So to turn this into a more positive post, I decided to give you some insight into what I like to do on those days when I'm just not feeling so excited about the future.

Go Outside and Explore
One of my favourite things to do lately is head outside and explore my neighbourhood. There are so many places out and about where you live that there are plenty to be discovered. Take a friend, bring a picnic and some blankets and head down those dead-end streets, where you're likely to find a park or two or even a beach if you live in Auckland. Finding a little place that no one knows about and hasn't been discovered is exciting yet relaxing too!

Meet Up for Food with your Friends
Now, if you're not feeling like being by yourself and you're just looking for some good ol' company then my tip is to go and eat to your hearts content with your friends of course. If you're looking for something healthy then my fave picks are Major Sprout and Little Bird Unbakery but sometimes all you need is a nice big slice of chocolate mud cake, a coffee filled to the brim with cream and a satisfying gossip sesh so don't be afraid to #treayoself ;)

Be Creative
I always find that when I'm feeling down, it can be slightly hard to concentrate on school or work (hence I'm writing this while I should be doing my History internal oops) so focus on something completely creative instead. While for me this can be writing blog articles, for you it could be something as artistic as painting or simple as playing the guitar for 15 min.

Netflix and (actually) Chill 
Nothing is better than spending all of your Sunday binge watching you're favourite series and the ones I'm currently obsessed with are Suits and Scream Queens. Honestly a day of Netflix and just relaxing can be so good for your soul because after I've caught up on all my latest episodes, I feel like I've got my life sorted and I can move on. Perrrfect!

Take care of yourself 
Sometimes all we need to pick ourselves up is a bit of self-care and self-love. So if you're days not going too well, run a bath, do your hair, paint your nails, put on a face-mask and make yourself feel like a million bucks because part of feeling good on the inside is also feeling good on the outside.

So those were my tips for what I do when I'm feeling down. I honestly could have gone down the regular route and said ''eat healthy and exercise blah blah blah'' but sometimes taking care of your insides means forgetting about what you should do and doing what you want to do. I really hope you were able to get something out of this post and I really appreciate you for reading on this far. Just know that it's okay to feel down about the future sometimes and that it really helps just to stop and think about how you are feeling, no matter how much you feel like you shouldn't. Remember to keep smiling and just make every single day AMAZING.

Until next time,

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. i love it Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Netflix and actual chill is my favourite thing to do haha. Really lovely and interesting post x

    Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I totally agree haha! Thank you so much.

      Sophie x

      Delete
  3. Best of luck with graduation, honestly the best is yet to come. Think of the future in a positive way with adventure and personal growth; it makes life transitions much easier, Xx

    Nikki | www.nikkibstyles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your advice :)

      Sophie x

      Delete
  4. I have 2 daughters both coming to different ends of schooling and both struggling with 'what to do next!'. I think your advice is spot on. Chilling out, not putting any pressure on them at home, snuggling up and watching a film together, helps. Allowing them space to figure things out, listening and not coming up with 101 solutions (which of course is what I want to do). So for parents, just allowing your kids to be, without pressurising them is a huge thing. Also giving them support to make the right decision for themselves is part of helping them to grow into confident young people.
    Sorry I didn't mean to go on for so long, but there is so much pressure in schools and by society that I honestly don't think it needs adding to at home.
    Great post and best wishes for your future studying law.

    ReplyDelete